Cereals bought from shops are often expensive, lacking in nutrients and high in sugar. It is quick, easy and cheaper to make your own in bulk and store in pretty jars in your kitchen.
Here is a basic recipe for golden crunchy oats. Vary the dried fruits, nuts and seeds that you use to have different flavours each time.
I love to use toppings like:
- Dried apricots, hazelnuts and chia seeds
- Dried pineapple, coconut flakes, turmeric and cashew nuts
- Dried apple, dried blueberry and cinnamon and almonds
- Raw cacao powder goji berries and hemp seeds
If you are reducing sugar in your diet, leave out the honey or maltose syrup and dried fruits. Instead use fresh fruits chopped on your cereal to sweeten.
This cereal tastes great mixed with a yogurt of your choice. I use a non dairy coconut yogurt.
- 3-4 cups of oats
- 3-4 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 3 tbsp of honey or rice maltose syrup
- A selection of nuts and seeds and a little dried fruit (optional)
- Gently melt your coconut oil
- In a large bowl, mix the melted oil into your oats until evenly coated.
- Add the honey or rice maltose and mix well
- Spread the oats evenly on a tray, and bake in the oven until all oats are golden and cooked. I do mine at 200 degrees (gas mark 4) for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the oats completely cool
- Mix in your toppings. Store in an air tight container.
- Serve with milk or yogurt of your choice. I use coconut yogurt or non dairy milk.